Tuesday 12 July 2016

Spinning - Spin City Funky Roving

Spin City has some of the most amazing colours! I got these two braids of roving at a fibre festival, I can't even remember which one. Probably Fibre East.

Tour de Fleece 2016

The Tour De Fleece (which runs alongside the Tour de France cycling event) prompted me to start spinning this lovely fibre, and it's been a lot of fun to spin. The colours play with one another well, and the resulting singles are pretty and vibrant. (some of these are progress shots!)

Tour de fleece 2016 day 3

I used my Ashford Traveller, and the only problem I have with it is that you can't see how the singles are winding onto the bobbin because of the setup of the wheel. If I ever get a different wheel (unlikely!) I'd consider getting one where the wheel and bobbin are set out differently.

It took me just over a week to spin both singles, which I then plied together into a lovely barber-poled yarn. I Andean plied the last few yards and joined them all together to make one monster skein.

Spin city merino 550yd sport-ish

Details:
Length: approx 550 yards 
Type/weight: 2ply sport weight (ish) yarn
Spin/ply direction: Z spun and S plied on an Ashford Traveller, standard maiden, middle whorl.


Verdict

I'm very pleased with it! Now I just need to figure out what to knit with it!
It does still need a bath and finishing, but I'm going to do that en-masse when the tour is finished.

1 comment:

  1. A girl after my own heart! Knitting, crochet and sewing!!! �� Always great to meet a new crafter. Helen xx www.ellephantastic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete